Toggle menu

Vary a premises licence or club premises certificate

Two arrows in circular shape

If you would like to vary (i.e. change) your premises licence or club premises certificate, you will need to apply for a variation.

Types of variations

Full variation

To make significant changes to your premises licence or club premises certificate, you will need to apply for a full variation premises licence or club premises certificate.

Changes could include:

  • Varying hours the licensable activity takes place
  • Adding licensable activities
  • Amending, adding or removing conditions within a licence
  • Altering any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the plan

Depending on the changes it may be possible for you to submit a minor variation premises licence or club premises certificate or a designated premises supervisor variation premises licence.

Apply for a full variation licence

Minor variation

If the variation is minor you should apply for a apply for a minor variation. A minor variation is a simplified process for:

  • small changes to premises layouts or structures
  • small changes to licensing hours
  • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as performance of plays or film exhibitions)
  • removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions

To make minor changes to your premises licence or club premises certificate, apply for a minor variation.

Apply for a minor variation

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) variation

A designated premises supervisor has day-to-day responsibility for the running of a business.  

All businesses and organisations that sell or supply alcohol, except members clubs and some community premises, must have a designated premises supervisor.

If you want to name a designated premises supervisor you will need to complete and submit a  consent form for the designated premises supervisor (PDF) [8KB]  at the same time as you apply for your premises licence.

A designated premises supervisor must have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

To change the designated premises supervisor (DPS) to another person on your premises licence, you will need to apply for a DPS variation. 

Apply for a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) variation

Change of name or address - Premises licence holder or DPS

You must notify us if you are the premises licence holder or designated premises supervisor (DPS) and have changed your name or address on the premises licence by completing the GOV.UK - Notification of change of name or address from Preston City Council

Please note: this form should only be used in circumstances where it is the same person or company but with a different name (for example, name changed by marriage).

How much is it?

The amount you pay is based on the rateable value of the premises.

Premises that don't have a rateable value are in Band A for licence variation purposes. The rateable value is set by the valuation office.

GOV.UK - check the rateable value of your premises

There is a multiplier applied to premises in Bands D (x 2 basic fee) and E (x 3 basic fee) where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of supplying alcohol. 

Please visit alcohol and entertainment licence fees for exact costings.

Alcohol and entertainment licence fees

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email