Toggle menu

Personal licence - alcohol and entertainment

Business person with plus registration

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale of alcohol at a licenced premises.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a personal licence if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are 18 years old or over
  • You have an accredited licensing qualification (or equivalent)
  • You have not had a personal licence forfeited in the last 5 years
  • You have not been convicted of any relevant offence or any foreign offence

How much is it?

Application fee£37

How to apply

Download and complete the personal licence holder application form (PDF) [162KB]  and return to us at Preston City Council, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL.

Please note: you must apply to the local authority where you live at the time of application. GOV.UK will help you find out which council you should apply to. 

GOV.UK - find your local council

What do I need to include?

You will need to include a copy of the following:

  • Criminal conviction certificate or criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Intelligence Service*
  • Completed, disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration form (PDF) [86KB]
  • Two passport photographs of yourself (one which is endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification)
  • Original copy of your Level 2 qualification for Personal licence holders**
  • Copy of your passport

* The certificate or search results must be no more than one calendar month old and must be the original.

** For a list of qualifications that are currently accredited please visit GOV.UK - accredited personal licence qualification licence providers.

What happens next?

If you have a criminal conviction, then your application will be referred to the police.

If there are no objections from the police, the application will be granted. You will receive your licence or certificate within 10 days.


If objections are received, a hearing will be held within 20 working days and you will be notified in writing.

If the application is granted the licence will be issued within 10 working days of the grant of the application.


Anyone at the hearing can appeal the decision.

Appeals must be made to a Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Change of name, address or loss of personal licence

If you have changed your name or address or have lost your personal licence, you must request a replacement:

GOV.UK - change of name or address for a personal licence

Alternatively, you may post or deliver your personal licence change of name and address form (PDF) [70KB] , along with your personal licence.

How much is the change of name, address or loss of personal licence?

Change of details£10.50

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email