Preston means putting social justice at the heart of the city
As a city we value people as individuals and everyone has a stake in our community. Preston is a city where people and communities get on with each other and is known as 'Proud Preston'.
As a council we aim to foster this sense of community and pride. In fact we aim to go further and bring about a fairer society for all.
Our social justice values are:
- Promoting investment in our community by encouraging the best possible practice amongst employers
- Supporting fairer access to money and finance through the Guild Money Credit Union and through training on money matters to help people better understand and manage finance
- Embracing digital inclusion so that everyone can have access to the skills needed to harness their potential and opportunities provided by digital technology
- Supporting the creation and sustainability of employee owned co-operatives that give people a greater say and stake in the organisations they work for
- Promoting equality and cohesive communities
How to get involved
We are encouraging employers across Preston to become Living Wage employers and raise their own rates of pay to at least £9.30 per hour.
Apply for recognition as a Living Wage employer
The new rate from 11 November 2019 is £9.30 per hour which employers are encouraged to pay by 1 May 2020.
The Social Forum is an opportunity for people with an interest in the city to get together and discuss and influence issues around equality and fairness in Preston.
Register your interest in the Social Forum
Invest in Preston
Join us in investing in Preston by...
- Creating training and employment opportunities particularly those facing the greatest challenges
- Keeping value and wealth in the Preston economy by sourcing your goods and services in the area where possible
- Adopting the best possible working practices and conditions making a commitment to the living wage, trade union recognition and avoiding the use of zero hours contracts