Toggle menu

Register to vote

Person with a plus icon at the side

Please apply to register on the website.

Register to vote

You will need to provide your details to register, including your national insurance number and date of birth.

If you have someone registered at your address but they no longer live there, you need to contact us so we can update the register.

Each person is responsible for their own registration.

What is IER and how to register

An Easy Read Guide to registering to vote is available on GOV.UK - Registering to vote: easy read guide.

How do I register?

Registering to vote means you can vote and have your say in local and national elections. You can register online at GOV.UK - Register to vote.

Before you start make sure you have:

  • National insurance number (you can find this on payslips, letters about benefits and tax returns)
  • Date of birth 

Please provide a contact number or email address on your application. This information is not published, it is only used if we need to contact you about your application.

If you don't have access to the internet please contact us on 01772 906908 and we can help you to register.

You can register to vote if you're 16 or 17 (although you can't vote until you are 18).

When will my name go onto the register

The Electoral Register will update on the following statutory dates in 2023:

Application to be completed and verified by:Your name will be added to the register on:
Monday 12 December 2022Tuesday 3 January 2023
Tuesday 10 January 2023Wednesday 1 February 2023
Tuesday 7 February 2023Wednesday 1 March 2023
Friday 10 March 2023Monday 3 April 2023
Thursday 6 April 2023Tuesday 2 May 2023

Wednesday 10 May 2023

Thursday 1 June 2023
Friday 9 June 2023Monday 3 July 2023
Monday 10 July 2023Tuesday 1 August 2023
Thursday 10 August 2023

Friday 1 September 2023

If you apply to register after Wednesday 10 August 2023, your details will go on the register on 1 December 2023.

Completing your registration application online does not confirm that you are on the register.

You will receive a letter from us letting you know when you are registered, or we will be in touch if we need any further information.

Moved house?

You will need to register at your new address which you can apply online at GOV.UK - Register to vote

If you don't have access to the internet please contact us on 01772 906908 for assistance.

Open Register

There are two versions of the register - the electoral register and the open register.

Electoral Register - The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote.  The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote and for other limited purposes in law such as detecting crime (fraud), checking credit applications and calling people for jury service.

Open Register - The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but it is not used for elections.  It can be bought by any person, company or organisation.  Businesses and charities can buy the open register and use it to send information to you.

You can request to remove your details from the open register by emailing or you can call us on 01772 906908.


If you are a student you can register at both your home and term-time addresses. If your home and term-time address are in different authorities, you can vote in local elections in both. However, if you are registered in two authorities, you can only vote in one for a general election.

Armed Forces

If you are a member of the Armed Forces and you wish to register, please visit GOV.UK - Register to vote (armed forces) section of the website which explains the different types of registration available to you.

Overseas Electors

If you are a British Citizen currently living overseas, you can register to vote.

Please visit GOV.UK - Voting when abroad website which contains the relevant forms, criteria for registering and further information about registering as an overseas elector. 

Change of Name

If you've changed your name, you will need to update the register with your new name. 

You can contact us at with details or your name change along with a copy of your documentation for example, change of name deed, marriage certificate etc or call us on 01772 906908.

If you already have a postal vote in place, please get in touch and we will send a new application form out to you to update your new signature.

Anonymous Registration

If you are concerned for your safety and for the safety of others in the household, you can register anonymously.

Please visit The Electoral Commission - Register Anonymously section on the Electoral Commission's website which contains the relevant forms and criteria for registering as an anonymous elector.

Residents of Guild Lodge, Whittingham Lane

If you are resident at Guild Lodge, Whittingham Lane, Whittingham and you wish to register to vote, please email us at or call us on 01772 906908 and we will send an application to register out to you.

Related Video

Video from the Electoral Commission about the Individual Electoral Registration system and how to register.

British Sign Language YouTube Video - How do I register to vote

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email