Business support and advice
Ongoing support and advice for businesses as lockdown restrictions are lifted.

What can I put in my recycling bins and boxes?

Recycling box

You should use your recycling containers for the following items:

Red lidded container (paper and cardboard)

Red lidded container (paper and cardboard) Red lidded container open (paper and cardboard)

We do collect

  • Paper
  • Catalogues and Directories
  • Wrapping Paper (Non Foil)
  • Newspaper
  • Magazines
  • Junk Mail / envelopes
  • Cardboard Food Packaging
  • Ready meal sleeves
  • Cardboard Boxes (must be cut down to fit inside container, even if it is left next to the container as extra recycling)
  • Toilet Roll and Kitchen Roll Tubes
  • Greetings Cards
  • Cereal Boxes 
  • Cigarette cartons (remove foil inner)
  • Cardboard medicine boxes (remove the plastic/foil pill packets are not recyclable)

We don't collect

  • Drink / soup cartons (Tetra Paks)
  • Disposable coffee cups
  • Plastic wrapping / cellophane
  • Wallpaper
  • Polystyrene
  • Plastic bags / carrier bags (loose items only)
  • Textiles / shoes
  • Paper towels
  • Padded envelopes
  • Train tickets (paper with magnetic strips)
  • Books

Yellow lidded container (plastic bottles, pots, trays and tubs, glass bottles and jars and cans)

Yellow lidded container (plastic bottles, glass bottles, jars and cans) Yellow lidded container open (plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars and cans)

We do collect

  • Plastic bottles (e.g. detergent, bleach, shampoo, milk, pop, yoghurt, medicine)
  • Plastic lids (either on or off the bottles)
  • Plastic trays /punnets (e.g. ready meals, meat trays,  fruit /veg punnets) no film lids or polystyrene trays
  • Plastic pots (e.g. yoghurt, soup) no film lids
  • Plastic trays /punnets (e.g. raw meat or ham trays,  fruit /veg punnets) no film lids
  • Plastic items with numbers ♻ 1(PET), ♻ 2 (HDPE) or ♻ 5 (PP)
  • Hand gel bottles (must be rinsed as contents are flammable)
  • Makeup containers
  • Car oil and antifreeze bottles (must be empty with lids tightly on)
  • Plant pots
  • Glass bottles
  • Glass jars
  • Food tins
  • Drinks cans
  • Biscuit and sweet tins (metal and plastic)
  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Co2 cartridges (laughing gas canisters)
  • Clean foil
  • Foil pie cases
  • Foil takeaway containers
  • Pet food tins
  • Metal bottle caps/lids (off the jars)

Food containers must be clean.

Remove any film lids and absorbent pads in the bottom of trays, and put these in your general rubbish.

Please do not separate items using carrier bags as this may be classed as contamination.

Please note: recycling boxes may only be used for households with no storage facilities for bins and need prior approval from the Waste Management Department.

We don't collect

  • Plastic bags / carrier bags (loose items only)
  • Film lids on from plastic pots and trays
  • Plastic wrappers / cellophane
  • Absorbent pads (from the bottom of plastic trays)
  • Polystyrene
  • Drinking glasses, plates or other ceramic items
  • Pots and pans or other scrap metal
  • Electrical items
  • Toys
  • Batteries (this can cause fires when compacted in the wagons)
  • Lighter fluid containers (or other flammable liquid containers)
  • Nappies
  • Paper / cardboard
  • Textiles / shoes
  • Disposable coffee cups


We no longer collect Textiles or shoes on the kerbside. Textiles can be brought for recycling to:

Garden waste bin (brown bin)

We do collect

  • Grass cuttings
  • Leaves
  • House plants and dead plants*
  • Small branches
  • Twigs
  • Hedge clippings
  • Wind fallen fruit
  • Weeds
  • Cut flowers
  • Compostable coffee pods 

*Please shake as much soil or compost off plant roots before placing them in your brown bin.

In colder weather the material in your brown bin may freeze making it difficult to empty. Please make sure that material in your bin is loose when you put it out for collection.

We don't collect

  • Soil or compost
  • Rubble and hardcore
  • Cooked or uncooked food waste
  • Vegetable peelings
  • Food packaging
  • Plant pots
  • General waste
  • Liquids
  • Dog and cat waste
  • Timber or wood
  • Invasive plant species such as Japanese Knotweed (for removal advice contact Environmental Health by completing an Environmental Health Report

Food waste

You can no longer use your brown bin for food waste. This should be disposed of in your grey bin or compost it at home.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page