Preston is a safe place to live, work and study. However, it is important to recognise emergencies can occur at any time. The key to cope and sort these emergencies is to be ready for them so you know what to do and who to contact if an emergency occurs.
In the case of an emergency once it has been reported the Police will initiate the emergency response arrangements. Then other non emergency agencies including the council will be contacted if they are required.
In the case of an evacuation, the council has identified a number of buildings that can be used as rest centres for people who may have nowhere else to go. We carry out regular exercises to ensure that our staff working at these centres are fully trained and that the centres themselves can be brought into use quickly and easily.
You can also download our Preparing for emergencies in Lancashire (PDF) [4MB] booklet.
If something is an emergency and requires an immediate response then contact the emergency services on 999.
999 - is the number to contact if you require an immediate response.
66247 - is a text service for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired.
- Your message must start with Fire if you need the fire services
- Your message must start with Police if you need the police services
- Your message must also include:
- Your name
- Where you are (e.g. (Street name, town or motorway junction)
- Details of the emergency
- Then leave your phone switched on, you will receive a reply from the control room that your message has been received (they may ask further questions).
Preston emergency contacts
The following number are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, you can also follow them on twitter for updates.
- Lancashire Police
- Tel: 101 - directed straight to your local police communications room
- Twitter - LancsPolice
- Home Office - MI5 Security Service
- Lancashire Fire and Rescue
- NHS - When to use NHS 111
- Tel: 111
- Twitter - NHS111
- Royal Preston Hospital
- Chorley and District Hospital
- United Utilities - Water for the North West
- Tel: 0845 746 2200 / 01925 714810 (or textphone 0808 1430295)
- Twitter - UnitedUtilities
- United Utilities - Electricity North West
- Tel: 0800 195 4141 (or textphone 0800 458 9767)
- Twitter - UnitedUtilities
- National Grid - Gas Transmission
- GOV.UK - Environment Agency
- Tel: 0845 988 1188 (type talk 0845 602 6340)
- Health and Safety executive
- Tel: 01772 836200
- Remember to tune into BBC Radio - Lancashire 103.9, 15.5, 104.5 FM
- Check the GOV.UK - Local Resilience Forums and the GOV.UK - National Security and Intelligence for more advice on what to do in an emergency
- The Met Office provide regular updated on weather and climate news
The councils emergency contact details
The out of hours service number is 01772 906916.
Calls to this number received from the public will be logged but will not necessarily initiate an emergency response.
This number should only be used to log council based emergencies, for example:
- Environmental health issues
- Dangerous buildings
- Preston City Council property issues