Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Do I need planning permission

An icon of a crane and house

To find out if you need planning permission for your proposed changes please use Planning Portal's interactive house.

Planning Portal's interactive house

Certain minor changes to a house do not need planning permission. Such works are called Permitted development - house extensions but you should always check whether you need permission before starting any work. 

There are other types of Permitted development rights - change of use.

The Planning Portal also provide mini guides to the planning permission and permitted development regimes for conservatories, extensions, loft conversions, outbuildings and porches.

It is also advisable for you to discuss your proposal with any neighbours who you feel may be affected by the proposal.

Once you are happy to proceed with your application you can then complete the planning application process.

Building regulations and other approvals

Whether or not your building project needs planning permission you will still need to comply for building regulations

There may also be other kinds of consent that you need to get from us before you start work.

You are therefore advised to check what other restrictions there are, and what other approvals may be needed before starting work.

Minor developments (including extensions and alterations within the boundary of a house)

We now offer pre-application advice for all Minor development advice, which include:

  • Extensions and alterations to a house
  • Advertisements
  • Telecommunications
  • Agricultural development
  • Extensions and alterations to listed buildings
  • 1-9 dwellings and development of less than 1,000sqm floor space or on sites of less than 1 hectare. For example retail, commercial, industrial, leisure, education, recreation and car parking.

Please note that there will be charges for the provision of pre-application advice for these proposals.

Major developments

Major and complex proposals will need to be considered by our Development Team at pre-application stage.

Please note that there are charges for the provision of pre-application advice for these proposals.

Please visit our Major development advice page for more information.


The demolition of buildings is considered a 'development' and demolition of the following type of buildings are treated the same as residential buildings:

  • listed buildings
  • buildings in conservation areas
  • buildings which are scheduled monuments and
  • buildings which are not dwelling houses or adjoining dwelling houses

Permitted development rights for such developments apply but an application needs to be submitted to check whether our prior approval is required for the method of demolition.

Please visit our tell us if you intend to demolish a building for more information and to apply online.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) 

If you are doing or having construction and building work carried out, you will have health and safety responsibilities to consider before starting work.

Anyone carrying out work on your behalf (such as designers or contractors) have obligations under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 and may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive of certain works.

For more information visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email