Toggle menu

What evidence do I need to provide?


We sometimes needs information about people other than the person who has applied for a benefit or service to work out what that person is entitled to. For example, where a person makes a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, we need information about other people who live in the same household to work out how much the person will be paid.

We also need certain information and evidence from you to process your claim as quickly as possible.

When making a claim remember

  • Always provide evidence of your income and capital and any other relevant information
  • Always complete and send in your form as soon as possible
  • Always provide any evidence asked from you as soon as possible

When making a new claim you will need to provide identification for yourself and proof of your National Insurance Number.

Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number

  • P45 or P60
  • Wage slip
  • Tax letter
  • DWP notification letter
  • RD3 National Insurance card

Acceptable forms of identification

  • Current valid passport
  • National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
  • Full Driving Licence
  • UK Residence permit
  • Marriage certificate
  • Paid utility bill
  • Birth certificate
  • Benefit award letter from DWP
  • Letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor

Types of income proof we need

We need to see a notification letter for your current award if you receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits.

Proof of earnings

  • For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips. If you do not have these ask us for an 'employers certificate'. This must include a company stamp
  • If you are self-employed - your last profit and loss accounts covering a 12 month period. If you do not have these ask for a self-employed form from us

Proof of other income

State benefits and pension

  • Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award
  • Bank statement showing the payments going in

Occupational pension

  • Pay Slips
  • Letter from your former employer

Other proof

  • Tax Credits - HMRC notification letter - all pages
  • Maintenance - Letter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer
  • Other income - Letter showing the amount and frequency
  • Student grant / loan - Current grant / loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant
  • Child care payments - Receipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminders' OFSTED registration number
  • Proof of capital - Up to date bank statements covering the last 2 months.
    • Share certificates
    • National savings certificates 
    • Premium bonds
    • Documentary evidence of any other type of capital
  • Second properties - Evidence of the current valuation and the amount of the outstanding mortgage
    • Evidence of the amount of any rental income received

How to send your documents

You can use our new My Scan app to send us your documents.

It is a quick, easy and secure way to send us your documents 24/7 from home via your computer, tablet or smartphone.

My Scan ensures that documents securely land in our back office systems ready for processing.  

Visit our My Scan App

Alternatively you can upload any information direct to us by using our E-Claim upload form or you can e-mail your documents to us at

Upload your documents using the E-Claim upload form

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email