Preston Market Hall - become a trader
The award-winning Grade 2 listed 'European style' Market Hall is made up of mainly hot and cold food stalls (approximately 75%) with a focus on quality produce at great value prices.
Traditional foods, such as fruit and vegetables, meats, fish and dairy produce, are complemented by a variety of other foods that add interest and attraction to the market.
Market Hall also accommodates non-food and service stalls that demonstrate traditions of good quality and interest that will retain existing customers as well as attracting a wide range of new people into the markets.
Monday to Saturday - 8am - 5pm.
What we provide
All stalls will have as a basic minimum of:
- Partition walls between stalls
- Sloping tiled flooring
- Polycarbonate roof with basic lighting
- Electricity supply (independently metered)
- Cold water supply (independently metered) and foul drainage
- Fascia for signage
Market Hall we will also provide:
- Lighting to the common areas
- Combined public and trader toilets with hand wash facilities
- Access to WiFi
- Loading and servicing for the Market Hall will be from dedicated lay-bys on Earl Street
What you need to provide
- Level flooring (if required)
- All equipment for the running of their business
- Stall lighting
- Circuit breakers for any electrical equipment on the stall
- Roller shutter (if required) to a specified design
- Wash basins (if required)
- Fire prevention equipment
- Individual signage for fitting to the fascia
- Public Liability Insurance (PLI) for minimum £10 million and relevant to market trading
- Electrical Installation Certificate (BS7671) NICEIC for stall electrical installation
All food traders will need to achieve a minimum rating of 4 on the Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme.
Applications for food stalls that demonstrate variety and uniqueness are particularly welcome to apply. There will be a limit on the number of stalls selling similar food, so your proposed products and how you would promote them will be of particular importance on your application form.
Current trader opportunities
For current trader opportunities and fees see our Council property search.
How to apply
To apply to trade at Market Hall complete the following online form:
Please note: the application form includes a section on business planning. This is important as it helps us understand how your business will compete, add value and sustain itself when we are assessing your application. Please try to complete this section as fully as possible.
What happens next?
Assessment of applications
Following and interviews (if required), stalls will be allocated to applicants with the best offer whilst taking into account that we need to achieve the right balance of goods and services for a successful market.
If you are offered a stall within the Market Hall, you will be asked to provide information and drawings on how your stall will be fitted out prior to the lease being signed. The layout and design of the stall is of prime importance in providing the right environment for the Market Hall.
The fit-out and signage design will require prior approval by us and we may require amendments to ensure it meets required standards and suits both the product and the overall appearance of the Market Hall.
Leases are designed to offer traders a balance of flexibility and security of tenure and will be offered on a three year and six year basis.
For the benefit of all market traders and the smooth running of the market, there is a set of common sense Preston Market Hall rules attached to the lease for successful applicant.
There are no specific parking facilities for market traders, although parking is available within a short distance of Preston Markets at Hill Street surface car park.
The Market office is located on Birley Street, on the Box Market, opposite the Market Hall.
Opening hours are:
- Monday, Wednesday and Saturday: 7.30am - 5pm
- Tuesday and Thursday: 7:30am - 5pm
View our current traders
Find out about our current traders by visiting Preston Markets - Market Hall traders.
Map address for Preston Market
Preston Market, Earl Street, Preston, PR1 2LA.