Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Report a dead or injured animal on the road

Open hands with paw symbol above

We are responsible for the removal of dead animals found on public land.

This includes:

  • dead animals found on public roads, pavements, public open spaces, derelict spaces and alleyways.
  • wild animals like foxes, rabbits and deer
  • domestic animals like cats and dogs

We do not deal with animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, or pigs. These are the responsibility of Lancashire County Council.

We are unable to remove dead animals from private property. This is the responsibility of the property owner.

Report a dead animal on the road

What happens if it is a domestic pet?

When we remove a domestic animal such as a cat or dog, we will try to identify and inform the owner from a collar or microchip where possible. 

If you have lost a dog, please report this through our report a lost dog page. If you have found a stray dog you can report this through our report a stray dog page.

Reporting a car accident with an animal

By law, if you hit any of the following animals, (even if it's not killed), you should stop and report the accident to the police within 24 hours:

  • dogs
  • goats
  • horses
  • cattle, e.g. cows
  • donkeys
  • mules
  • pigs
  • sheep

For more information and how to report the incident please visit Lancashire Constabulary - Road Traffic Collisions.

If the animal is severely injured the police hold details of local vets or animal welfare groups who may be able to assist as will the RSPCA who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1234 999.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email