Toggle menu

Vehicles used in fly tipping

Warning triangle

We may seize a vehicle if we have grounds to believe that it:

  • has been used in the commission of a fly-tipping offence
  • has been used to transport controlled waste without the appropriate registration

The Control of Waste (Dealing with Seized Property) (England and Wales) 2015 Regulations require us to publish a notice of seizure on our website when a property is seized.

Current Seizure Notices

Any current notices are published on this page.

Claim your vehicle

Any person who wishes to make a claim over the property must give notice in writing to:

Director of Environment, Preston City Council, Town Hall, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 2RL. 

Any claim must be made within 15 working days of the date of this notice. 

Any person making a claim will be required to produce proof of identity and address.

What if I am using an agent?

Where an agent makes the claim on behalf of their principal, they will need to produce proof of identity and address of themselves and their principal together with proof of authority to act as an agent.

Where the seized property is a motor vehicle with a registration mark, and the person claiming entitlement purports to be the registered keeper, they must produce the registration document. 
The authority may be of the opinion that it is necessary to retain the seized vehicle for the duration of an investigation or criminal proceedings.

What does the Council do with the vehicle?

A seizure authority may sell, destroy or otherwise dispose of a seized vehicle where a seizure notice has been published and:

  • (a) The claim period had ended and no claim was made;
  • (b) A claim was made within the claim period but the seizure authority did not determine that the claimant was entitled to the vehicle. 

Further information

For any enquiries relating to property seizures please contact us

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email