Toggle menu

Temporary payment disruption

Due to a global framework problem impacting payments, we are unable to accept payments at this time.

Residential Care Workers discount


To be considered for a discount, the person who is the Residential Care Worker must provide care or support or both to another person (s) and the following conditions must be fulfilled.

The care workers employers must be

  • Public Authority
  • Charity
  • The person receiving care or support and introduced to the care recipient by a body established for charitable purposes only.
  • Gross wages or salary paid to the care worker must not exceed £44 per week.
  • The person is required to work as a carer for at least 24 hours in each week.
  • The person must be resident in premises provided by his/her employer for the better performance of his/her duties.

If you have a carer living with you

If someone living with you is a carer, and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

If you've left your home to look after someone

If you have a property of your own, and you leave it unoccupied when you move to look after someone, it may be exempt from Council Tax. This means you don't have to pay Council Tax for your property.

It doesn't matter if you leave furniture in the property, but you must have moved out and made your permanent home with the person you are caring for.

If you don't qualify for an exemption

We won't be able to give you an exemption if, for some reason, you continue to live in your property as your main home while you are a carer. However, if your income as a carer is low, you may be able to apply for Council Tax Support.

How do I apply

To apply please complete the following form:

Residential Care Workers discount form  

Alternatively, download and complete the residential Care workers discount form (PDF) [120KB] .

Before a discount can be granted, the applicant must provider the information in part 1 to 3. 

Part 4 should be completed by his or her employer and if the employer is the person receiving cares, Part 5 should also be completed by the charity who introduced the care worker to the employer.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email