Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Apply for food business approval

Pen and paper

Some food businesses require approval instead of register a food business.

These businesses must meet additional requirements, as they usually involve high risk operations.

You cannot operate your food establishment until it has been approved.

Which businesses require approval?

Your business may be required for approval if you both produce and supply the following foods of animal origin to other food business establishments (not directly to the public):

  • Meat
  • Fish
  • Dairy
  • Eggs
  • Frogs legs and snails
  • Rendered animal fats and greaves
  • Treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • Gelatine and collagen
  • Certain cold stores and wholesale markets

Are there any exemptions?

If you sell food of animal origin to public or retailers (e.g. caterers, pubs and restaurants), you may be exempt from approval as long as:

  • food is up to 25% of your trade
  • you don't sell food outside the county you are registered in
  • only certain types of food are being made or retailers being supplied

Please note: if your food business is exempt from the approval process, you will still need to register a food business.

What requirements must be met for approval?

You will need to meet the hygiene of foodstuffs (PDF) [468KB]  and hygiene rules for food of animal origin regulations. (PDF) [100KB] .

How to apply

To apply for food business approval please complete our online form:

Apply for food business approval

Please note: If you are applying for approval in relation to eggs you should contact us first as there are further exemptions.

What do I need to include?

  • A detailed scale plan of the (proposed) establishment showing the location of rooms and other areas to be used for the storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste, and the layout of facilities and equipment
  • A description of the (proposed) food safety management system based on HACCP principles
  • A description of the (proposed) establishment and equipment maintenance arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) establishment, equipment, and transport cleaning arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) waste collection and disposal arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) water supply
  • A description of the (proposed) water supply quality testing arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) arrangements for product testing
  • A description of the (proposed) pest control arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) monitoring arrangements for staff health
  • A description of the (proposed) staff hygiene training arrangements
  • A description of the (proposed) arrangements for record keeping
  • A description of the (proposed) arrangements for applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping

What happens next?

1. Officer premises visit

We will be in contact with you to arrange a premises visit.

We will look in depth at your process and documentation and discuss any work you need to do in order to comply with the regulations.

2. Unique approval number issued

If your business has achieved the required standards approval, you will be issued with a unique approval number. This makes up part of the identification mark you will need to apply to your products.

3. Details added to the Food Standards Agency (FSA) central register

Details of your premises together with information relating to the types of foods you produce are forwarded to the Food Standards Agency to be kept on a central register.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email