Toggle menu

Council tax and business rates outstanding balance issues

We are currently experiencing a technical issue affecting the outstanding balance shown for Council Tax and NNDR accounts online. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Councillor allowances

Stack of coins

We have established a scheme of allowances for elected members (councillors) based upon recommendations of the Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP).

The IRP meets annually to review the scheme and reports to Full Council. We implement a new scheme each municipal year based upon those recommendations. 

This scheme is regulated by the Local Government Act 2000, the Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) Regulations 1991 and 1995, 2003 and 2005.

To find the current scheme please visit Councillors allowance scheme.

The allowance scheme

The scheme operates using a system which weighs the allowances against a baseline of 100. The value of 100 is determined annually upon the recommendation of the IRP.

Basic allowance

A Basic Allowance will be paid to all councillors based on information relating to part year entitlements.

Part year entitlements 

Part year entitlements is when a scheme is amended or a councillor commences or ceases to hold office in year.

The entitlement to a Basic Allowance and Special Responsibility Allowance is calculated in accordance with the number of days (inclusive of the first and last) in office, which is proportionate on the number of days (calculated from the date of the last Annual Council pro-rata to the basis of a 365-day year).

Special responsibility allowances

Special Responsibility Allowances will be paid to those councillors who hold office as members of the following

  • The Executive
  • Chairs of a Council Committee
  • Leaders of political groups

When a Councillor holds more than two positions of special responsibility, they shall be entitled to claim the highest two allowances available.


A Councillor may, by notice to the Director of Resources, elect to forego any part of their entitlement to an allowance under this scheme.

Claims and payments

Payments are made by twelve instalments on the 15th day of each month and as appropriate in proportion with the part year entitlement.

Income Tax, National Insurance and benefits

Entitlements to the basic and special allowance are subject to Income Tax and National Insurance deductions, as we are liable to pay employer's National Insurance contributions. 

Reimbursement of expenses (including fares, accommodation and subsistence) actually incurred have no liability for Tax and National Insurance provided that receipts are provided. However, It is necessary for councillors to declare the amount of allowance they receive if they are drawing any state benefit.


Members will be issued with a car parking pass restricted for use on Council related business. At the time of a Member's first claim, a photocopy of the V5 document (log book) of the vehicle for which a claim is being made must be provided to the Payments and Payroll Manager.

Members choosing not to travel by car will either have the cost of public transport reimbursed on production of a relevant ticket or may claim a bicycle allowance.

Please note that for  travel beyond a 5-mile radius of the city boundary, regardless as to whether travel is chosen to be undertaken by car, payment will only be made based on the cost of 2nd class public transport (train or bus). This is in line with the policy pertaining to officers.

Child care and dependant's allowance

Members are entitled to claim full costs of care of children and dependants if the following conditions are in place:

Child care allowance

  • receipts are produced
  • payment is for a registered child-minder, nursery or nanny
  • cost is for the time of the specified duty plus up to one hour travelling time

Dependants' allowance

  • receipts are produced
  • payment is for a registered carer
  • the cost is for the time of the specified duty plus up to one hour travelling time


Details of payments made will be published annually on our website.

Councillor suspensions

In the case of a Councillor being suspended or formally suspended from their duties, allowances will be frozen until the matter is resolved. If the Member is subsequently cleared the allowance will be backdated and paid.

Councillor allowances scheme 2024/25 and Revised 2023/2024

Information showing the budgets set aside for Councillor allowances in 2024/25.

Councillor allowances 2023/24

The amounts paid to councillors during the 2023/2024 financial year.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email