Toggle menu

Park Rangers and maintenance

Person raking

Our park ranger carry out the following:

  • Practical conservation work - protect wildlife, encourage biodiversity and promote sustainable development
  • Environmental education - work with local school to educate young people about the natural environment
  • Work with local communities - develop the parks and promote the use of the parks for leisure activities
  • Organise events and activities

*All our park rangers are first aid trained and are CRB checked.

Maintenance responsibilities

Grass cutting

We cut the grass on all our parks and open spaces. Bad weather can delay cutting and long periods dry weather may make cutting unnecessary.

Community Gateway housing estates

Community Gateway Housing Association are responsible for maintaining green spaces on Gateway Housing estates. To report a problem contact 0800 953 0213.


We look after the hedges owned by us.

Lancashire County Council are responsible for keeping the footpaths and roads clear of overgrown hedges and trees. To report a problem contact 08450 530000.


Litter and dog bins on parks and open spaces are emptied by us. We also deal with fly tipping on parks and in shrub areas.

Floral displays

We provide:

  • hanging and barrier baskets in the city centre
  • flowerbeds in parks and open spaces
  • internal decorations in council buildings
  • floral decorations for special events

Report a problem

You can report the following types of parks, open space or play area problems:

  • Trees in parks*
  • Vandalism or damage
  • Litter or flytipping
  • Dog Fouling
  • Graffiti
  • Grass cutting or weeds

*Please note: tree problems on highways (e.g. streets, alleys, roads) should be reported to Lancashire County Council - report it.

How to report it

To report a problem complete our online form:

Report a parks and open space problem

Emergencies or dangerous problem

For emergencies or dangerous problems (e.g. a falling tree in a park or a broken piece of play equipment) contact us on 01772 906471 (9am - 5pm).

If outside office hours call our maintenance helpline on 01772 906066.

Become a conservation work volunteer

We have a number of conservation work volunteer roles to help the park rangers with a variety of tasks. If you would like to volunteer complete the following form:

Apply to be a conservation work volunteer

Please note: we are currently offering volunteer opportunities at Haslam Park and Fishwick Local Nature Reserve and Recreation Ground.

Follow on X

To keep up to date with all things relating to parks and street scenes follow us on X - @ParksInPreston.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email