Taxi fares, ranks and accessibility
Hackney carriage fares (or tariff) are set by us and are a maximum fare that can be charged by hackney carriage drivers.
Please note that we are not able to set fares for private hire vehicles.
Hackney carriage fares
The following tariffs apply to all journeys within the Local Authority area and to journeys that end outside the Local Authority area, unless agreed otherwise:
Tariff 1 - for hiring commenced between 7am and 10pm Monday - Saturday:
- First 559 yards - £2.20
- Each succeeding 160 yards - £0.20
- After 3 miles for each succeeding 138 yards - £0.20
Tariff 2 - for hiring commenced between 10pm and 7am Monday - Saturday, all day Sunday, statutory public and bank holidays (excluding Christmas and New Year period):
- For the first 559 yards - £2.80
- Each succeeding 138 yards - £0.20
Tariff 3 - for hiring commenced between 6pm on Christmas Eve and 7am on 27 December and between 6pm on New Year's Eve and 7am on 2 January:
- For the first 559 yards - £4.40
- Each succeeding 180 yards - £0.40
Please note: the waiting time on each tariff for each period of one minute (or part) is £0.30.
- For each article of luggage conveyed outside the passenger compartment of the carriage - £0.20
- For each person in excess of one for each whole journey - £0.20
To cover cleaning and loss of income, where the interior of the vehicle is soiled (at the drivers discretion), not exceeding £40.
- Drivers may ask you to pay an estimated fare/deposit up-front
- If you do not agree you may be refused travel
Journeys ending outside the city
When a journey ends outside the city boundaries a fare greater than what would have been shown on the meter may be charged, but only if an agreement has been made with the hirer in advance. In the absence of such an agreement, only the metered fare can be charged.
A table of authorised maximum fares should be displayed in each vehicle, so that it is easily visible to all hirers.
Changes to the maximum fare
A notice of any variation to the maximum fare is advertised by us in the Lancashire Evening Post, or similar newspaper, with a date set 14 days from publication for making an objection to the proposal.
If no objections are received the fare changes will have immediate effect at the end of the 14 day consultation period. If any objections are received the matter will be referred to the Taxi and Miscellaneous Sub-Committee for consideration.
Hackney carriage stands (also known as taxi ranks) provide a location where you can hire a hackney carriage taxi in a stationary position.
Taxi ranks are situated in locations where the public most need hackney carriages, such as adjacent to transport facilities, retail areas and places of employment. Stands can be for continual or part time use.
We work with the hackney carriage taxis and other stakeholders to keep stands under constant review.
A private taxi rank is provided at Preston Railway Station (we do not manage this taxi rank).
Where are our taxi ranks?
The location of all our taxi ranks are outlined in the map below.
Map addresses for taxi ranks in Preston
- Lancaster Road (East Side), Lancaster Road (near Crooked Lane), Preston
- Lancaster Road (West Side), Lancaster Road (near Church Street), Preston
- Church Street, (near Avenham Street), Preston
- Church Street, (near St. Johns Place), Preston
- Church Street, (in front of Preston Parish Of St John & St George The Martyr), Preston
- Church Street, (near Manchester Road), Preston
- Tithebarn Street, Preston, PR1 1DJ
- Market Street (near Earl Street), Preston
- Market Street (opposite the covered market), Preston
- Church Row, Preston, PR1 3BX
- Lytham Road (on junction to Garstang Road), Preston, PR2 8JE
- Friargate, Preston, PR1 2ED
- Fylde Road, Preston, PR1 7BY
- Guild Hall Street, Preston, PR1 3NU
- Preston railway station, Fishergate, Preston, Lancashire PR1 8AP