Household Support Fund
About the Household Support Fund
The Household Support Fund is to assist residents of the Preston area who do not have enough resources to meet their immediate short-term needs and require assistance with essential items over the winter period.
This grant can be used to help towards the cost of:
- energy / water needs
- essentials linked to energy / water needs
- wider essentials such as household bills, clothing, and white goods.
It is not intended to cover debt advice or general financial hardship support which is not linked to food, warmth and/or hygiene.
The fund is not intended to cover housing costs as there are other benefits and support available to help with these for example Discretionary Housing Payments.
Awards will be made where there is no alternative means of meeting the need.
To be eligible for the scheme you must be:
- A resident of the Preston area - please visit GOV.UK - to find your local council
- Experiencing financial hardship and not have enough resources to meet your immediate short-term needs
The scheme can help with short-term living costs such as food, gas, electric, water, essential household appliances, council tax arrears, household bills and clothing (this is not an exhaustive list).
If white goods such as washing machines or fridges are required, items will be purchased through the scheme and delivery will be arranged directly to your home. Due to supply there may be a waiting period for white goods.
The scheme will also signpost you to other sources of advice and support to ensure that you get all the assistance you are entitled to.
You may be offered a referral for advice and assistance with finance, debt and/or welfare benefits, to help address your long-term needs.
The scheme does not cover:
- Any requests for items that are not essential for example debts incurred by gambling or loans/credit cards, overdrafts, HP etc
- Applications from those with sufficient income or savings
- Requests for household items where these are the responsibility of the landlord
- Rent arrears and/or deposits unless meeting exceptional need
How long will it take for a decision to be made?
We aim to make a decision within five days of receiving all the required information, other than for household goods, where we aim to decide within 10 working days.
Depending on the level of demand for the scheme, this may not always be possible.
To speed up the application process please ensure you fully complete the application form and provide all the evidence we ask for.
Please do not chase up your application until at least 10 working days after it was submitted.
How to apply
Once we receive this information an application form will become available on this page.
We will need the following information:
- Where you live
- Full household details
- Your circumstances
- Your income
- Your most recent Bank Statement showing one months transactions and showing your name and address - dated within the last 2 months. If you do not provide complete bank statements your application will not be considered.
- What support you need and an in depth explanation as to why the support is required.
Can I appeal a decision if my application is unsuccessful?
As this is a discretionary scheme there is no right of appeal. However, if you think we have overlooked important information then you can ask for us to look at the application again by emailing email@example.com providing reasons along with your name, address and reference number.
This decision will be final.
The information that you provide will be processed in accordance with the (GDPR) and data protection law for the purpose of provision and management of the Household Support Fund.
Your personal information, where provided, will be processed under Article 6,1 (e) of the GDPR - processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.