Who can claim Housing Benefit?
You can apply for Housing Benefit if you:
- Pay rent to a private landlord or housing association
- Pay Council Tax on your home
- Have savings of less than £16,000. If you have reached the qualifying age for pension credit, you may be able to have more than £16,000 in savings
- Are on a low income, for example you work full time, part time or are self employed and get a low wage or you get any state benefit
Not everyone shown on the above list can claim Housing Benefit.
Do not apply for Housing Benefit if you:
- Are not responsible for paying rent
- Own your home
Have more than £16,000 in savings and investments
- You won't normally get Housing Benefit if you are living with a close relative and paying them rent.
Use our online calculator to get an estimate of how much Housing Benefit you may be entitled to and make your claim.
Please note that this tool is for guidance purposes only. We strongly suggest that you complete our online benefit application form as soon as possible in order to obtain an accurate assessment of your entitlement.
If you apply for benefit before moving into your property you will need to confirm in writing that you have moved.
Apply for Housing Benefit online
The easiest way to make a claim for Housing Benefit is through our online E-Claim service.