Access for wheelchair passengers
We publish and maintain a list of Preston licensed hackney carriage and private hire vehicles that are able to carry wheelchair passengers.
The Equality Act 2010 specifies that drivers of wheelchair accessible hackney carriages and private hire vehicles included on the list commit a criminal offence if they:
- refuse to carry a wheelchair user
- charge extra for carrying a wheelchair user
- fail to provide reasonable assistance to the passenger unless they hold an exemption certificate
All our 187 hackney carriages and some of the private hire vehicles will be included on the list.
This list will be the designated list for the purposes of section 165 of the Equality Act 2010.
Can I be exempt from the list?
Yes, individual drivers may apply to the Council for an exemption of the requirements on medical grounds by completing the
The Department of Transport - Statutory Guidance
The Department of Transport has published statutory guidance on the requirements.
We have also produced a user guide on how to transport a person in a wheelchair.
Drivers who are exempt will be issued with two notices to be displayed in the licensed vehicle when they are working:
- One on the near side window for approaching passengers and wheelchair users to see; and
- One on the rear window so any driver behind you is aware of your exemption.
The exemption notice is not transferable and if the vehicle is shared by another driver who is not an exempt driver then the notices must be removed before another driver uses the licensed vehicle.
The Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee (DPTAC) provide guidance on .
Access for assistance dogs
All licensed drivers have a duty to carry assistance dogs, unless they are exempt by way of a medical condition. Assistance dogs include:
- guide dogs for the blind or partially sighted
- hearing dogs for the hard of hearing
- other assistance dogs which assist disabled people with a physical impairment
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association provide a guidance document for .