Your cookie settings can be changed at any time through your browser settings. To find out more see our cookies page.
This section contains specific information relating to hazards likely to be found in the motor vehicle sales and/or repair industry.
Running a business can be daunting, and you may be unsure how to start managing health and safety in your workplace.
The following ten point guide takes you through your legal responsibilities, step by step.
1. Write your health and safety policy
2. Carry out a risk assessment
3. Display the health and safety law poster
4. Take out Employers' Liability Insurance
5. Meet workplace standards
6. Understand accident reporting and purchase an accident book
7. Consult your workers
8. Train your workers
9. Comply with Smoke free legislation
10. Carry out a fire risk assessment
See our pages about Offices for additional hazards that might affect your business.
The HSE guidance book HSG 261 is a comprehensive guide to most of the hazards you will find in a vehicle repair workshop, it is available in the documents section. Refer to this document when undertaking your risk assessments, and implementing control measures.
If you require help with something in this section, please contact us.