Business support and advice
Ongoing support and advice for businesses as lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Garden waste collection (apply or renew)


If you are a Preston resident and wish to receive fortnightly garden waste (brown bin) collections, you need to subscribe to our garden waste collection service.

You can now subscribe for the 2021/22 collection year. Subscriptions are valid for the 12-month period from 5 April 2021 to 3 April 2022.

Changes to weekly collections

When your garden waste collections start again after the winter break, your collection week may have changed.

To check whether your garden waste collection has changed see find your bin collection day. Changes to collections will also be shown on your bin collection calendars 2021.

How much does it cost?

The garden waste subscription charge for 2021/22 is £35 for the emptying of one brown bin fortnightly.

This will cover garden waste collections made between 5 April 2021 to 3 April 2022.

If you subscribe part way through the year the full charge will still apply.

Please note: if you pay for your subscription at a PayPoint store or Post Office by cash or credit/debit card using your renewal letter you should not incur any extra charges.

If you do not have a brown bin, you will need to request a new brown bin. This includes a delivery charge of £16 per bin. You can request as many brown bins as you need. However the subscription charge will apply to each bin.

How do I apply or renew?

To apply or renew for the 2021/22 collection year complete our secure online form:

Apply or renew garden waste collection

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your form, you will receive a unique bin permit in the post. Please follow the instructions on the reverse of the sticker and make sure it is clearly displayed on your bin.

Temporarily due to unforeseen circumstances at the permit production facility, the lead time for you to receive your permit through the post is longer than usual. Please allow 15 working days for your permit to arrive.

What can I put in my brown bin?

  • Grass cuttings
  • Leaves
  • House plants and dead plants*
  • Small branches
  • Twigs
  • Hedge clippings
  • Wind fallen fruit
  • Weeds
  • Cut flowers
  • Compostable coffee pods

*Please shake as much soil or compost off plant roots before placing them in your brown bin.

In colder weather the material in your brown bin may freeze making it difficult to empty. Please make sure that material in your bin is loose when you put it out for collection.

What can't I put in my brown bin?

  • Soil or compost
  • Rubble and hardcore
  • Cooked or uncooked food waste
  • Vegetable peelings
  • Food packaging
  • Plant pots
  • General waste
  • Liquids
  • Dog and cat waste
  • Timber or wood
  • Invasive plant species such as Japanese Knotweed (for removal advice contact Environmental Health by completing an Environmental Health Report

Food waste

You can no longer use your brown bin for food waste. This should be disposed of in your grey bin or compost it at home..

When are garden waste collections?

Garden waste collections take place on your bin collection day. To search for your collection day see:

Find my bin collection day

Please ensure your bin is presented for collection by 7am on your collection day and is returned to your property as soon as possible after collection.

What if I want to cancel?

You have 14 working days from the date you subscribed to cancel your subscription.

Requests to cancel the service can be made in writing via one of the following ways:

Cancel by post

Waste Management
Preston City Council
Argyll Road

Cancel by email

What if I don't want to subscribe?

If you choose not to subscribe, then you must either take your garden waste to a recycling centre (tip) or compost it at home..  You should not dispose of garden waste in your general waste bin.

If you no longer require your brown bin you should contact us to arrange for its removal.

For wider information about the service see Garden waste collection - frequently asked question from the documents section.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page