28 May 2020
The Outdoor Market at Preston Markets will re-open from Wednesday 3 June, welcoming back the long standing, independent traders.
To help maintain the social distancing guidelines, the Outdoor Market will begin by trading Wednesdays and Saturdays 8am - 2pm, until further notice.
The Outdoor Market will trade with a reduced number of stalls.
This new reduced stall layout will provide adequate space for customers and the traders to shop and browse safely.
Councillor Matthew Brown, Leader of Preston City Council said:
"Reopening the Outdoor Market is great for the local community of Preston, the customers and independent traders. This is a key step towards the high street reopening and welcoming shoppers back into the city centre safely.
It has been great to witness the support of Preston Markets from the people of Preston through this difficult time and I would encourage everyone to continue to shop local and support our independent businesses who are anchored in our community during this unparalleled time.
We look forward to welcoming back the other traders to the Market Hall and Box Market, when it is safe to do so."
- The Outdoor Market will only operate Wednesdays and Saturdays 8am - 2pm until further notice.
- Following the Governments recommendations, advice was sought from Health and Safety specialists to discuss the new layout and safest way to re-open.
- Floor stickers will be installed to help social distancing and monitor queuing.
- All relevant existing permanent stall holders will be contacted directly by the Markets Management Team in the next few days to discuss the reopening.
- Any other traders can contact the Markets Management team on firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- The Second-Hand Market will not re-open at this time, due to difficulties with ensuring social distancing measures are maintained.
- We are working with partners across the County to support the most vulnerable in our community who are facing difficulties, worries and loneliness as a result of Coronavirus (Covid-19).
- If you are isolated by Covid-19 and need help please visit Preston Together for more information, ring 01772 906777 or email email@example.com.
- Preston City Council actively applies and prioritises the principles of Community Wealth Building wherever applicable and appropriate. Community Wealth Building is an approach which aims to ensure the economic system builds wealth and prosperity for everyone.