Many of our customers are concerned about the impact coronavirus (Covid-19) may have on their funeral service at Preston Cemetery and Preston Crematorium.
Following government and Public Health England guidance we're introducing measures to delay the spread of the virus, protecting our staff and citizens using the services.
What we're doing
- Restricting funeral attendance to a maximum of 15 mourners, plus up to 2 to video or live stream the service. Areas of the chapel have been cordoned off, so that people can obey the social distancing rules.
- Stopping viewings of the Book of Remembrance. A scanned copy of the books can be viewed online via the digital book of remembrance.
- Temporarily removing all our hymn books; most orders of service have the hymns printed in them
- Advising mourners and attendees not to touch, kiss or come into contact with the coffin.
- Encouraging the use of wheeled biers to bring coffins into the chapel, rather than shouldering the coffin.
- Closing the curtain on the catafalque.
- Instructing our staff to clean areas of the chapel and the coffin after the service has finished.
In addition to the above, at the cemetery we are:
- Restricting funeral attendance to no more than 30 mourners as per the Governments guidance on gatherings. All are reminded to obey the social distancing rules.
- The Cemetery Office is closed to the public.
We'll continue to review government and Public Health England guidelines on large gatherings and share updates as soon as possible.
What you can do
To help with social distancing you should try to use email and phone calls rather than a face to face meeting.
You should not attend a funeral or visit any of our sites if you:
- Have tested positively for coronavirus
- Are self-isolating
How to contact us
You can contact us by emailing email@example.com or telephone - 01772 794585.