Your cookie settings can be changed at any time through your browser settings. To find out more see our cookies page.
This page contains specific information relating to hazards likely to be found in a convenience store or newsagent.
Running a business can be daunting, and you may be unsure how to manage health and safety in your workplace.
The following ten point guide takes you through your legal responsibilities, step by step:
1. Write your health and safety policy
2. Carry out a risk assessment
3. Display the health and safety law poster
4. Take out Employers' Liability Insurance
5. Meet workplace standards
6. Understand accident reporting and purchase an accident book
7. Consult your workers
8. Train your workers
9. Comply with Smoke free legislation
10. Carry out a fire risk assessment
The information below is specific to convenience store/newsagent and will help you to write and implement your health and safety arrangements and risk assessments.
You may also like to consider using the left hand navigation to look at our pages for an Office or for Food Preparation for additional hazards that might affect your business.
If you employ young persons or children (Paper boys etc) you will also need to look at our Young Persons pages, you may need to register with Lancashire County Council.
If you require help with something in this section, please contact us.